Chocolate Fudge Cake

By A Wee Bit of Cake - May 19, 2016



People often say teachers get it easy… all the holidays and finishing at 3 (I wish!) but I often joke that Mr T’s job is the third person in our marriage as he works such long hours. The past few weeks have been hectic for him as it’s been coursework deadlines for all of his GCSE and A-Level students. Two weeks ago he was in work til 9pm on a Friday! It’s insane!

Anyway… the point of this post wasn’t to tell you how hard teachers work but to share this chocolate fudge cake recipe with you. He asked me to bake a cake to say thank-you to his Department for all the hard work they had put in recently and I was more than happy to oblige – any excuse to bake haha. He was on Ethan duty while I had some time off and did a spot of baking.

I’m going through a phase now of trying out different chocolate cakes. Yes, I’ve got my go to recipe but I’m always on the lookout for new ones too. Let’s be honest here; you can never have too much chocolate cake!

I grabbed my Mary Berry Baking Bible out of the cupboard and went straight to the chocolate cake section. I love that this book has a whole chapter devoted to chocolate cake - good old Bezza! The Death By Chocolate Cake caught my eye but I had to adjust the recipe slightly as I didn’t have any bicarb in and I didn’t like the look of the icing, I wanted something thicker and fudgier. I ended up using this recipe to sandwich and pour over the top of the cake.

This really was so easy and I’m tempted to make it again when the NCT girls meet up next week. It’s one of their birthdays so I’m thinking this would go down well. I didn’t get to taste any but according to Mr T his Department and his Sixth formers devoured it. I just need him to remember to bring back the cake tin that has been sat in his office for the past two weeks!

Chocolate Fudge Cake
275g plain flour
3 tbsp cocoa
3 tsp baking powder
215g caster sugar
3 tbsp golden syrup
3 eggs
225ml sunflower oil
225ml milk

Chocolate Fudge Icing
60g unsalted butter
30g cocoa
3 tbsp milk
250g icing sugar sifted
Blackcurrant jam
Fudge pieces to decorate

  • Preheat the oven to 160C (fan)
  • Grease and line two 20cm cake tins
  • Mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl
  • Whisk in the wet ingredients until smooth
  • Pour into the prepared tins
  • Place in the oven and bake for 35 minutes and until a skewer inserted comes out clean
  • Leave in the tin for 5 minutes before tipping onto a wire rack to cool
  • Once cool melt the butter in a pan over a medium heat
  • Whisk in the cocoa, then whisk in the milk and icing sugar
  • Using half of the icing and the blackcurrant jam sandwich the cake together
  • Pour the remaining icing over the top of the cake and scatter over fudge pieces to decorate

Enjoy!




  • Share:

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. This looks exceptional! Clare, you're such a bad influence! My family is coming to visit soon, so I think I'll have to get baking for the first time in ages, as I'll have someone to help me to eat it all.

    Rachel x
    The Inelegant Wench

    ReplyDelete