BBQ Pulled Pork

By A Wee Bit of Cake - April 22, 2015

I’ve recently discovered a new favourite dish – pulled pork. I don’t know why I didn’t make it sooner. Chuck it in the oven on low for 5-6 hours and low and behold, you have a tasty dish that took minimal effort but can feed a lot of people.


Initially I tried a few different recipes but none of them taste quite right until I tried this Slimming World recipe. I tweaked it slightly and cooked it in the oven as we don’t have a slow cooker and well… all I can say is – why have I waited so long to make and enjoy this wonderful cut of meat?
I tend to get my pork shoulder from Aldi, it’s about £3 - £4 for 1.5kg and we get a lot of meat from that. It gives us a generous helping at dinner, enough for lunch the next day and my new discovery – turning the remaining into cottage pie (post to be shared later this week).

You can serve the pulled pork with your choice of sides. I prefer to whip up some egg fried rice that I pack full of veggies – peppers, onions, carrots, peas, sweetcorn, courgette, mushrooms and sundried tomatoes. Whatever veg is in the fridge I add it to the rice cos I’ll be honest here – I’m not a big veg fan and often push it around the plate so I find this is a great way to up my intake (yes, I know, this makes me sound like I’m a child).

BBQ Pulled Pork
1.5kg pork shoulder
5 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
3 tsp mustard powder
500g passata
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
3 cloves of garlic, crushed 
Sprinkling of chilli flakes
  • Preheat the oven to 140C (fan)
  • Pop all the ingredients in a casserole dish, season well, stir to combine and place the pork shoulder in the dish taking care to cover the meat in the sauce.
  • Cover the dish and place in the oven for 5-6 hours.
  • Once cooked remove the fat and shred with 2 forks. 
  • Stir into the sauce remaining in the bottom of the dish.
  • Serve with a side of your choice.





Enjoy!
  Image Map

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. I saw the title of your post and my heart sank, "yet another BBQ recipe which I won't like" I thought, but then I saw that your BBQ sauce has no sweetness added to it! I like BBQ in theory, I just hate the sweetness that most sauces have to them, but this sauce sounds perfect! Pulled pork ahoy!

    Rachel x
    The Inelegant Wench

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't get the need to add sweetness to it either. The original recipe tells you to add sweetener but I just don't get it - sugar is for puddings not for mains! I left it out and it's fine :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm almost ashamed to say I've never actually made pulled pork before! This looks like a simple recipe to try though so I'll have no excuse for not giving it a go! :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't ever made it until recently. Make sure to try it, it's so easy!

      Delete