Key Lime Pie

By A Wee Bit of Cake - January 19, 2017

What a week we have had!


Last Tuesday as I was leaving work I got a phone call from nursery asking me to collect Ethan as he had had 3 loose nappies and procedure is that they aren't allowed in for the next 48 hours. Now this is tough for us as we don't really have much family nearby that we can call on for help so we both ended up taking a day off work to look after the little man. Thankfully he was happy in himself but oh my, it felt like we were keeping Pampers in business with all of the nappy changes! His poor bum though looked so painful but still, he kept smiling.

Then Saturday rolls around as I went to change Ethan's nappy when he woke I noticed a pin prick rash all over his torso. We did the usual tumbler test and checked his temperature both of which were fine. I phoned 111 and they suspected Chicken Pox as I said it was doing the rounds at nursery. I wanted to believe it was pox but I had this niggling doubt that it wasn't so come Monday I took him to the doctors where they diagnosed a viral rash. 

Nursery were happy to have him back as the GP said it wasn't contagious and I was so relieved that I didn't have to take any more time off work. Now, I would love to not work and be a SAHM but needs must and I don't want to use up all of my annual leave on sick days, I want them to be for holidays and family time.

So Mr T drops Ethan off at nursery on Tuesday morning and an hour later I see their number flash up on my phone screen and all I could think was "please don't be ill." Ethan's key worked said they had noticed some blisters on his finger tips and wondered was it Hand, Foot and Mouth as it was also doing the rounds. Thankfully they said he could stay and they would keep an eye on him. So far it hasn't got any worse and the rash on his body has calmed down but oh my, what a week it was!

In other news.... here's a fantastic quick and easy recipe for a Key Lime Pie that I took from my Nigella Kitchen book. I fiddled with it slightly but it's seriously tasty. As soon as I made it I knew I had to make some other versions of it but keeping the core ingredients the same. I actually made a chocolate version of it at the weekend just to cheer us up so I'll share that with you later this week. I'm already thinking I could make a lemon version swapping the lemon for lime and drizzling in some lemon curd or what about a raspberry and white chocolate one come summer? Yummy!

Anyway... recipe! This is honestly so easy to make. Just whizz up some biscuits and butter, whisk up the wet ingredients and boom - a delicious dessert perfect for any occasion. No baking required, all it needs is a few hours in the fridge to set.

Nigella's Key Lime Pie
300g chocolate digestives
1 tbsp cocoa
50g soft unsalted butter
1 x tin condensed milk
150ml lime juice
300ml double cream


To decorate
zest of one lime
1 square of dark chocolate grated

1 x 23cm fluted tart tin
  • Pop the biscuits, cocoa and butter in a food processor and whizz until it's a sandy consistency
  • Press into the tart tin taking care to push up the sides and make sure there are no holes in the base
  • Pop in the fridge to firm up
  • Whisk the condensed milk and lime juice and once combined add the double cream
  • Keep whisking until smooth and thick
  • Pour into the tart tin and using the back of the spoon to create a soft swirled effect
  • Pop into the fridge for 4 hours to set
  • Before serving scatter over the lime zest and grated chocolate
Enjoy!



  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments