Chocolate Key Lime Pie

By A Wee Bit of Cake - January 25, 2017


Do you remember the chocolate lime sweets you could buy when we were little? They were a bit like marmite – you either love them or hate them, a bit like this tart. Now, I love that flavour combination but not everyone is so keen. Mr T took it into work and his colleagues weren’t so sure but both of us couldn’t resist more than one slice - hopefully you all like this!

As I mentioned previously, after making this Key Lime Pie from my Nigella Kitchen book I knew I wanted to play with the flavours and I was intrigued to see how it would work both in taste and consistency with the addition of melted chocolate. Thankfully it was a success with the bitterness of the chocolate cutting through the sweetness of the limes. I’m so pleased with how the chocolate addition worked out that I definitely think I’ll make it again for Valentine’s Day with the addition of strawberries (but minus the limes!)

Nigella's Key Lime Pie
300g chocolate digestives
1 tbsp cocoa
50g soft unsalted butter
200g dark chocolate
100g milk chocolate
1 x tin condensed milk
150ml lime juice
300ml double cream

To decorate
zest of one lime
1 square of dark chocolate grated

1 x 23cm fluted tart tin

  • Pop the biscuits, cocoa and butter in a food processor and whizz until it's a sandy consistency
  • Press into the tart tin taking care to push up the sides and make sure there are no holes in the base
  • Pop in the fridge to firm up
  • Melt the chocolate and set aside to cool
  • Whisk the condensed milk and lime juice and once combined add the double cream
  • Keep whisking and add the melted chocolate until smooth and thick
  • Pour into the tart tin and using the back of the spoon to create a soft swirled effect
  • Pop into the fridge for 4 hours to set
  • Before serving scatter over the lime zest and grated chocolate



  • Share:

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Ohhh! This sounds and looks so good. I remember those sweets. I think they still actually sell them in Poundland. hehehe
    I think I might have to give this a try x

    ReplyDelete