Summer Pavlova

By A Wee Bit of Cake - June 22, 2016



Do you remember that brief spell of sunshine that we had a few weeks ago? What happened to it? It’s been grim ever since and I’m starting to wonder will summer ever arrive.

In the hope and anticipation that posting some summer recipes with you this week will encourage the sun to shine I’ve two delicious pavlova recipes to share with you all.


I absolutely adore pavlova and every time I make it I think I must make it again as it’s so quick and easy but then I never do (I seriously need to rectify this!). It’s the sort of bake that I can whip up during Ethan’s nap time which appear to be getting shorter and shorter. I’m lucky if he naps for more than 30mins at a time during the day so any baking I do has to be in the oven within 30mins or less.

So…. Pavlova! The one recipe I can rely on for a beautifully crisp meringue and a soft and chewy centre is by good old reliable Mary Berry. This recipe comes from her Baking Bible which I find myself turning to more and more when I’m in the mood to bake but don’t want anything overly complicated.

I decided to bake this when I caught up with the NCT girls thinking the sun would shine but I must have jinxed us as the rain poured all day! At least it gave us the taste of summer even if it was miserable outside.

I also decorated it with an abundance of fruit so at least it counted as one of our five a day haha. Honestly, at the moment I need to glue my mouth shut when it comes to food but a pavlova is healthier than a chocolate cake… yes??



Summer Pavlova
4 egg whites
225g caster sugar
2 tsp cornflour
2 tsp white wine vinegar

To decorate
300ml double cream
Selection of berries
Handful of white chocolate chips
  • Preheat the oven to 140C (fan)
  • Lay a sheet of baking parchment on a baking tray and draw a circle on it approximately 23cm in diameter or the size of your serving plate
  • Whisk the egg whites until stiff and cloud-like
  • Add the sugar a teaspoon at a time which should result in a glossy meringue
  • Mix the cornflour with the vinegar and whisk into the meringue
  • Dollop the meringue on the baking parchment using the circle you previously drew as a guide
  • Place in the oven and immediately turn down the temperature to 130C (fan)
  • Bake for 1 hour until firm to the touch and a pale beige in colour
  • Leave the meringue to cool in the oven which will give you that gorgeous marshmallowy filling
  • Once cool whisk the cream until thick
  • Spread the cream over the meringue
  • Scatter over the berries and chocolate chips

Enjoy!


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments