Chocolate Pavlova

By A Wee Bit of Cake - June 27, 2016


I fully intended to publish this Chocolate Pavlova recipe last Friday but with the results of the EU Referendum I just didn't feel like it was the time or the place to think about blogging while we were all trying to get our heads round the result. 

I'm still shocked that "Leave" won (even by such a small margin) and I genuinely fear for our future and what it means for us all. How will it affect Ireland both North and South and could it see the break-up of the whole of the UK? I just dread to think....

For now I am focusing on the happy things - Mr T, our wee Ethan and of course baking!

A few weeks back some of our friends were hosting a BBQ and as usual I volunteered to bring a pud. I wanted something summery, quick and easy and even though I had made my Summer Pavlova recently I still wanted to make something different. I got thinking about making a chocolate dessert which eventually led me to the idea of a Chocolate Pavlova. Nigella has a great recipe for a chocolate meringue and I opted to make a chocolate ganache instead of using cream and once again decorated it with an abundance of berries.

The Pavlova was a great hit with everyone, I just need an excuse to make it again!


Chocolate Pavlova
6 egg whites
300g caster sugar
3 tbsp cocoa powder sieved
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
50g dark chocolate finely chopped

To Decorate
300ml double cream
200g dark chocolate
100g milk chocolate
A variety of berries
  • Preheat the oven to 160C (fan)
  • Lay a sheet of baking parchment on a baking tray and draw a circle on it approximately 23cm in diameter or the size of your serving plate
  • Whisk the egg whites until stiff and cloud-like
  • Add the sugar a teaspoon at a time which should result in a glossy meringue
  • Whisk in the cocoa and vinegar
  • Fold in the chocolate gently until well combined
  • Dollop the meringue on the baking parchment using the circle you previously drew as a guide
  • Place in the oven and immediately turn down the temperature to 140C (fan)
  • Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes until firm to the touch 
  • Leave the meringue to cool in the oven which will give you that gorgeous marshmallowy filling
  • Melt the chocolate and cream together in a pan over a low heat
  • Mix until well combined and smooth and glossy
  • Place in the fridge to cool and firm up. You want it to be firm enough to spread without sliding off the meringue
  • Once the meringue is cool dollop on the chocolate ganache and scatter over the fruit
Enjoy!



  • Share:

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Yummmm, Clare you're making so many yummy things at the moment! And Ethan is definitely a happy thing, what would we do without him :)

    ReplyDelete