Mars Bar Brownie Cake

By A Wee Bit of Cake - January 06, 2016

I love brownies, let’s be honest – who doesn’t? Now I’m not talking about those brownie bites you can buy from the supermarket, they just taste like stale cake – I’m on about the real deal.

I’ve been making this brownie recipe for a while now and it’s just so good. They are chocolaty, fudgy, gooey, indulgent and take me to my food happy place. Now, as I’ve mentioned before, initial credit has to go to Billingtons as it is their recipe but I fiddled with it to suit my tastes.  It’s such an adaptable recipe that you can easily chuck in some fruit or nuts or even some crème eggs to take things to the next brownie level.

Last Sunday we had our annual Anything Goes event for Wharfedale CCC (Clandestine Cake Club for you non-cakey folk) and at this event for one time only you can make anything you want. The cake only rule is relaxed allowing us all to explore other avenues of baking.

I had been thinking about the Mars Bar brownies I made last year but knew they needed jazzing up a bit and that’s where my Mars Bar Brownie Cake was born. It looks like a cake but it is in fact a giant brownie with an icing glaze on top. Side note – why did no-one tell me how good brownies taste with icing? They are amazing! The sweetness of the glaze cuts through the richness of the chocolate – yum!


The addition of the Mars Bars makes for a very fudgy and sticky bake but it’s so worth it, you may want to give you teeth a good scrub afterwards though.

Mars Bar Brownie Cake
250g dark chocolate
100g milk chocolate
200g butter
3 eggs
250g soft dark brown sugar
50g SR flour
3 Mars Bars chopped
100g icing sugar
Handful of fudge pieces
  • Preheat the oven to 170C (fan)
  • Grease and line a 20cm round cake tin
  • Melt the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water
  • In a separate bowl whisk the eggs and sugar until doubled in volume
  • Fold in the melted chocolate
  • Fold in the flour
  • Pour half the batter into the tin
  • Scatter over the Mars Bar pieces
  • Pour over the remaining batter
  • Bake for 35 mins until crackly on top but with a slight wobble
  • Leave to cool in the tin
  • Once cool make up the glaze with the icing sugar and some water
  • Pour over the brownie cake (I tipped mine upside down for a flat top)
  • Scatter with fudge pieces
Enjoy! (I dare you to only eat one piece)



  • Share:

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Oh wow! That looks and sounds amazing! I think I may have to give it a try :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. do Kim, it's so easy and the girls will love it x

      Delete