Lemon and Blueberry Loaf

By A Wee Bit of Cake - May 29, 2015


It’s Friday! Apologies for the blog absence over the past wee while but this past week has been a bit hectic. There was the Press Launch for the Leeds Loves Food Festival last Thursday, Saturday was a day of running errands and Sunday we flew home for a few days to sort wedding stuff. To say it was busy was a bit of an understatement! 

Sunday involved a late morning flight then driving a hour away down to Newry to see the family for my little cousin’s Confirmation Day and that evening we had to drive up to Ballymena to see the hairdresser for my wedding trial. Monday morning saw us on the beach for our engagement shoot, then up to the hotel for a meeting to finalise stuff and that evening it was back to my parents to go through the music for the ceremony with my brother. Tuesday mum and I went into town to get my bridal jewellery and to nosey at outfits for her and then that afternoon we went out for a family lunch before heading back to the airport for our evening flight. It was a busy few days!!!

I actually can’t believe we only have 9 weeks to go and my hen party is next weekend. Time is truly whizzing past.

But anyway! Enough of my wedding ramblings and let’s talk about cake! The theme of our most recent Wharfedale CCC event was Budget Cakes and I opted to make a Lemon and Blueberry loaf. After our theme of Luxury Cakes and hearing what some people spent on ingredients I knew a budget theme would be great to try out. I realised I always seem to have flour, eggs, butter and sugar in the cupboard so all I needed for this was some lemons and blueberries.

A simple icing glaze finished this off perfectly and it worked out a lot cheaper that making up some buttercream.


Lemon and Blueberry Loaf
225g stork
225g caster sugar
225g SR flour
4 eggs
Zest of 3 lemons (reserve some for decoration)
  • Preheat the oven to 160C (fan)

  • Grease and line a loaf tin.

  • Cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.

  • Alternate adding the flour and eggs until well combined.

  • Fold in the lemon zest.

  • Pour the mixture into the tin and bake in the oven for 45-50mins until a skewer inserted comes out clean.

  • Tip onto a wire rack to cool.

To decorate
200g icing sugar
A few drops of lemon juice
Handful of blueberries
  • Stir the lemon juice into the icing sugar until smooth but with a thick pouring consistency.

  • Pour into a piping bag and using a zig zag motion decorate the top of the cake.

  • Scatter over the blueberries and dust with icing sugar and any remaining lemon zest.

Enjoy!



Image Map

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments