Chocolate Birthday Bundt

By A Wee Bit of Cake - May 14, 2015

It was Mr T’s birthday last week so of course I needed to make him a cake! He loves chocolate but doesn’t go in for loads of icing so I knew a bundt was the order of the day. I also decided to use the Jubilee tin he bought me for my birthday as a special little nod to him.

My usual chocolate cake recipe doesn’t always work well as a bundt as it’s quite a wet mix so even with lots of greasing and flouring bits of the cake still stick to the tin. I didn’t want a light chocolate cake; it needed to be dense, fudgey and rich in flavour.

After doing some digging online and checking out my favourite blogs I came across this recipe from Ruth at The Pink Whisk. I did need to up the quanities and fiddle with the recipe slightly but it resulted in one yummy bundt! Mr T and I may have had more than one or two slices but it’s his birthday so it would be rude not to. It did mean a slight gain at SW the following Thursday but I didn’t mind, this cake was worth it!

  
Chocolate Birthday Bundt

240g butter, softened
150g molasses sugar
290g light muscovado sugar
4 eggs
300g plain flour
110g self-raising flour
110g cocoa powder
1 ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
330ml milk
2 ½ tbsps vinegar (I used malt and it was fine)
  • Preheat the oven to 160C (fan)
  • Grease and flour your bundt tin.
  • Add the milk and vinegar to a jug and set aside.
  • Cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
  • Mix together the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
  • Alternating between the eggs and the dry ingredients, add a bit at a time until well combined.
  • Whisk in the milk until smooth.
  • Pour into a prepared tin and bake in the oven for 50-60mins until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
  • Leave to cool in the tin for 30mins before tipping onto a wire rack to cool.
To decorate
250g icing sugar
A few tablespoons of warm water
Chocolate drops
  • Once the bundt is cool stir the water into the icing sugar a little bit at a time until smooth and thick but with a dropping consistency.
  • Pour over the bundt.
  • Decorate with chocolate drops.
Enjoy!




Image Map

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. This is one seriously buff cake! I can't wait to try it x

    ReplyDelete