BEDN - Food (cake pops recipe)

By A Wee Bit of Cake - November 04, 2013

Food –who doesn’t love food?


I’ve never understood those people who can only eat half a chocolate bar or say they “forgot to eat.” How do you forget to eat? I’ve hardly finished one meal when I start thinking about the next. This is why I’ll never be skinny and I’ll be content being a size 12 (ok 14 in jeans but I have big hips). Generally I try and eat quite healthily but I need a small amount of chocolate every day just to keep me going.

I figured seeing as the prompt for this post is food I would share a cake pop recipe I made over the weekend. I know you can buy the moulds in the shops that bake perfectly evenly formed sponge spheres but I prefer the old school and less wasteful method of using up leftover cake scraps and buttercream.

Remember a wee while ago I made these petit fours? Well I was left with some excess cake when the first batch went wrong so I blitzed it into crumbs and put it in the freezer. I was clearing out the freezer on Saturday when I came across the bag of cake crumbs and half a piping bag of buttercream so decided I would use them up to make cake pops.

My quantities here are a guide, just use your own judgement and add the buttercream a little at a time so the mix doesn’t become too sticky.

Cake Pops

Makes – approx. 30

500g cake crumbs
200g buttercream
200-300g chocolate
Sprinkles
Cake pop sticks (I got a big bag in Home Bargains for £1!)

  • Add the buttercream to the crumbs a bit at a time until it all comes together.  



  • Roll into balls or flatten with your hands and cut out shapes. I found rolling into balls much easier than cutting the star shapes.

  • Melt 2 or 3 squares of chocolate in the microwave in short bursts, keeping an eye on it that it doesn’t burn.

  • Dip the end of the stick in the chocolate and push it about halfway into the ball.

  • Repeat this process on all the balls/shapes and put in the fridge for a few hours or preferably overnight.

  • Once the cake pops are firm melt the chocolate over a bowl of simmering water.

  • Dip the cake pops in the chocolate and drop a few sprinkles on top.

  • Place upright in a short tumbler (no idea for the proper name!) or mug until set. You could place in the fridge but the chocolate may bloom.





Warning – eating more than one is very hard to do, these are so moreish and too easy to eat a few without realising!

Enjoy!

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments