Reds True Barbecue

By A Wee Bit of Cake - November 19, 2014



Reds – mention it to anyone in Leeds or Manchester and they will tell you all about it. If you love meat and in particular barbecue food then I think you will like it here. It's a new style of food that has taken the city by storm.

I’ll be honest though, I was never a big fan of Reds to begin with and I thought they were a bit stuck up. The whole “you can’t book but call in leave your number and we will call you when a table is free” really bugs me. Why can’t I book a table if Mr T and I want to go for dinner on a Saturday night? Now I know I can pre-book through the week if we have a large group and pay a deposit but that doesn’t solve the issue of us going out for tea as a couple or deciding to go out on the spur of the moment.

Anyway…. off track a bit there! I’m not here to rant about Reds booking system, I want to tell you about their new menu I was lucky enough to try last week. They had a promotion running on twitter giving away tickets to their new menu tasting for only £10 per head for 3 courses. It was such a good deal I knew I had to try and get tickets and luckily I managed to get 2 for myself and Mr T.

I work really close to the Headingley restaurant so we went there straight after work on Thursday. We were so lucky to get in while it was still quiet, within minutes of being sat down it filled up quite quickly and people were being sent away.

The £10 set menu was such good value for money. We got a starter, main, 2 sides, a portion of chips and a dessert each. I was so stuffed, I couldn’t eat it all and ended up leaving some.

Here is what we had:

Ox cheek bone luge

yummy fries!

The Juicy Lucifer

This burger was so yummy if a little spicy for me

Mini wedge salad

Toasted marshmallow sweet potato pie
 Apologies for the poor quality photos but lighting wasn't great for photographing food.

My thoughts? The starter was really nice but the shot of bourbon was a cheap gimmick. Maybe it’s because I’m not a drinker but I just didn’t get it. Maybe they should have an non-alcoholic alternative too. The meat was delicious though, proper melt in your mouth stuff... yum!

The main was really good but a little spicy for my palette. I picked off the chillies although a little heat still remained. I like a proper burger that is juicy, greasy and packed full of flavours and this one definitely delivered.

The sides were lovely, I particularly liked the cornbread and I’m definitely going to try and recreate that at home.

Pudding was odd – I love sweet potato but I didn’t like it in a dessert. If it had been served as a savoury side minus the marshmallow I would have really enjoyed it.

All in all the meal was pretty good. Certain things weren’t quite to my taste but I can appreciate they might appeal more to other diners. Also for only £10 we got a ridiculous amount of food, service was great and we both left with very full tummies.

Thanks Reds, we had a great evening.

 
****I was not asked to write this review nor was I paid for it, all thoughts are my own***

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments