Chorizo Sausage Rolls

By A Wee Bit of Cake - November 07, 2014



So this week I did something pretty major – I handed my notice in at work. Anyone who knows me knows I don’t like change and I’m a creature of habit and comfort so to do this is a pretty massive decision. I have been in my current job since I graduated in 2008, held my position through 3 rounds of redundancies and worked my way up from just doing 3D visuals (I work in an Architect’s practice) to managing all of their marketing. Everything from website, social media, branding, brochures; you name it I was involved in it. I also realised from doing this that actually I don’t want to work in architecture any more, I don’t want to produce visuals but what I do want is to forge a career in marketing.

I knew to do this would involve leaving my current place of work, somewhere where I have been for 6 years and am now regarded as part of the furniture. The only people who have been here longer than me are the management team, our receptionist and one of the architects. When I spotted a job that was for the post of Marketing Executive but still within the construction industry I knew I had to apply. Fast forward a few weeks, I’ve had 2 interviews and they have offered me the job.

This is huge, it’s a pay rise, closer to home (shorter commute woohoo!) and I’m finally going explore marketing on a much deeper level which is what I have wanted to do for a long time. I felt quite emotional telling management that I was leaving, they tried to coax me to stay but I knew for once in my life I had to take a risk, be selfish and do what’s right for me. I can’t wait to put all the skills I have learned during the past 6 years and expand them on a greater level. Part of me feels bad for leaving but you know sometimes you just have to take that risk.

It is bittersweet, on one hand I’ll be sad to leave a place where I have been happy and treated so well over the past 6 years but on the other hand I can’t wait for this new challenge that awaits me in January. I’m so ready for it and it just can’t come quick enough! The new job is very me – it’s exactly what I want to do and the company seem lovely too. It just goes to show if you want something enough and are determined you will get there.

It looks like 2015 is going to be a big year, new job, the wedding, and maybe even new house too – exciting times ahead!

So, after all those ramblings about me and my life, here’s a sausage roll recipe that’s a perfect warmer as the weather turns colder.

A few weeks back I got together with my lovely CCC ladies for lunch to wish Helen well before she went off to have baby Evan. We each brought something different and I decided to go down the savoury route after spotting a recipe for chorizo sausage rolls in my Fabulous Baker Brothers Book.
As always I needed to do some tweaking to the recipe, I removed the lemon and lime as I found it too overpowering and adding in some sundried tomato as I am currently going through a phase of being mildly addicted to them and adding them to everything!

Chorizo Sausage Rolls
1 red onion, finely chopped
½ red chilli, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
6 raw chorizo sausages
200g of roasted red peppers/piquillo peppers (both come in a jar), chopped
75g sundried tomatoes, chopped
small bunch of parsley, chopped
1 egg yolk
1 egg for egg wash
salt and pepper
500g pack of shop bought puff pastry

  • Preheat the oven to 200C

  • Heat some oil in a pan adding the onion and chilli and cook on a medium heat for 5 mins.

  • Add the garlic and vinegar and continue to cook until almost all the liquid has gone.

  • Squeeze the sausages out of their skins, crumble into the pan and cook for another 5 mins until they start to release some oil.

  • Place some kitchen roll onto a plate and tip the mix onto it draining off the excess oil and liquid.

  • Pour into a bowl with the peppers, tomatoes, parsley, seasoning and egg yolk.

  • Give it a good stir until well combined.

  • Roll out the pastry into a large rectangle (about 40x50cm) and divide in half to give two long strips.

  • Add the filling down one half of the strip, brush beaten egg on the other side, fold over and seal by pressing down with a fork or crimp with your fingers. Repeat this process with the other strip of pastry.

  • Cut into smaller pieces, brush with egg wash and place on a lined baking sheet.

  • Bake in the oven for 30-40mins or until golden brown.


Enjoy!






  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments