Apple and Blackberry crumble cake

By A Wee Bit of Cake - October 09, 2014



Before I start I need to talk about GBBO – how amazing was it? Before the episode aired I thought Richard would win, then during it I thought it would be Luis so to see Nancy win was a total shock but I’m so pleased for her! It just goes to show that no matter what age you are in life you can achieve your dreams. I’m also wondering what I will do without my weekly fix of GBBO – I’m going to be lost without it!



I mentioned last week how important it is to me that food comes from the best source we can find and afford and something I’m most passionate about regarding this is eggs.

We eat a lot of eggs in our house, at least 30 a week and there’s only the 2 of us. Mr T eats a 2 egg omelette for breakfast every morning and has 2 eggs in his salad each day. That’s 20 eggs by the time we get to Friday then we often have a fry up on a weekend so another 6-8 eggs are eaten then plus any baking I do or general cooking that asks for an egg or two to be added.

I’m passionate about eggs being free range and I can’t actually remember the last time I bought eggs that weren’t. When Sainsburys approached me and told me about the Campaign for Free Range Eggs I knew I had to take part. I was seriously impressed when they said that they are the first major retailer to use cage-free eggs as ingredients in all their own brand products.

When you can buy free range eggs for less than £1 for 6 there really is no excuse not to buy them. They are getting as cheap as caged eggs but for the sake of a couple of pence I prefer to know my eggs had a good home.

Note to self - next time move cake from turntable to pretty cake stand before taking photos!
Sainsburys asked me to create a recipe using eggs and my first thought was cake! I wanted to make a cake that focused on the need for eggs but also something that was autumnal cos food always tastes better when it’s in season. When I think of Autumn I always think of apples and spices, foods that are warm and comforting. After a flick through some of my cookbooks I knew exactly what I wanted to make – a brown sugar sponge with brown sugar frosting and autumnal fruits. The frosting recipe I found in my Hummingbird Bakery Cake Days book but I halved the quantity. The sponge was an experiment and I’m pleased to say it was a success. Well if I count my Director going into the MD and telling him he needed to get a slice of the cake before it disappeared – that was a lovely compliment!


 Anyway – recipe!

Apple and Blackberry Crumble Cake

225g Stork
225g Soft Light Brown Sugar
225g SR Flour
2tsp baking powder
1tsp cinnamon
4 free range eggs
Small punnet of blackberries



Frosting
3 large egg whites
125g soft dark brown sugar
220g cold unsalted butter, cubed

  • Preheat the oven to 160C (fan)

  • Grease and line 3 x 18cm cake tins

  • Using the all in one method tip all the ingredients (apart from the blackberries) into a bowl/mixer and whisk until smooth and well combined.
  • Divide between the 3 tins, scatter a handful a blackberries on top of each tin and place in the oven for 22-25mins or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.

While the cake is baking time to get on with the frosting!



  • Whisk the egg whites and sugar in a bowl over a pan of simmering water until soft peaks are formed (this takes at least 5/6 minutes so an electric whisk is a must!)

  • Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter a few cubes at a time until blended and continue to whisk for another 5 minutes until thick

  • Cover and set aside to cool for an hour or so.

Once the frosting is done the cake should have just about baked. Pop on a wire rack to cool and now to sort the apples!

  • Peel, core and slice 3 cooking apples.

  • Add the sugar and butter to the pan over a medium heat and once melted tip in the apples making sure they are well coated in the buttery sugar.

  • Continue to fry for 5-10 mins or so until the apples are starting to soften but not mushy.

  • Place on greaseproof paper to cool making sure the apples aren’t placed on top of each other.
  • For the crumble sprinkles blitz half a cup of plain flour and soft brown sugar and a small knob of butter in food processor until crumbly (or use your fingers but I'm lazy!) and fry in a dry frying pan until golden. Set aside to cool. 


Once the cake is cool and the icing well chilled it’s time to assemble the cake!

  • Place one layer of sponge on a plate/board, spread a generous amount of icing on top and add a layer of apples in a fan style. Repeat the process with the second layer of sponge.

  • Once this is done place the third sponge on top and crumb coat the cake in a thin layer of icing. Place in the fridge for 30mins then coat the cake in the remaining icing.

  • Decorate with your crumble mix, any remaining apples and a handful of blackberries.

Enjoy!



Thanks to Sainsburys for this opportunity, I’m so pleased to see how passionate you are about free range eggs.


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Just read your latest email, about leaving a comment or stopping by to say a wee hello! I do try my best, but time is always against me. However this lovely cake definitely deserves a special mention, it looks lovely. Inviting, warm seasonal flavours and ingredients, lovely presentation, and just perfect in every way. Thank you Clare for sharing all of your recipes and kitchen stories. I really enjoy following your blog. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank-you lovely, that's so kind of you to say. That's totally brightened up my day to read this.

      Have a wonderful weekend xxx

      Delete