Jaffa Surprise Cake

By A Wee Bit of Cake - September 04, 2014



It seems like I post a lot about Sugar and Crumbs icing but every time they send me out a new flavour of icing I can’t wait to try it out. Each is so different and the flavours allow me to think outside the box and push my boundaries. I’m pretty traditional with my palette and do have a habit of sticking with what I know works but sometimes we all need that little push to get our creative juices flowing.

The flavours I got to try this time were their Jaffa Twist and Chocolate Milkshake icing sugars and once again they didn’t disappoint! I really wish I knew how they got their flavours so bang on but that’s what is so great about S&C, it’s all natural without sacrificing the flavour.

Kathryn, the other Wharfedale CCC organiser set the theme for our most recent event; “Ooh, go on… surprise me!” and I knew I had to use my new S&C icing sugars in my cake. I decided my surprise would be in both flavour and design but I also knew I had to encorporate orange into it somehow to tie in with the Jaffa Twist flavour. I decided to go for a polka dot theme inside the cake but I didn’t want to go down the route of using cake pops inside the batter, I wanted everything to bake at the same time.

Now this was a complete experiment and I’m so glad it worked out. I piped orange blobs within the batter and thankfully it baked well and once cut you could see the hidden design of the polka dots. The Jaffa Twist icing also tasted amazing; a cross between a Jaffa Cake and a Terry’s Chocolate Orange. Yum!


Jaffa Surprise Cake
225g SR flour
225g caster sugar
225g baking spread (Stork)
2 tsp baking powder
4 eggs
Zest of 2 oranges
Orange food colouring (I used the Sugarflair Apricot gel)
3 x 18cm cake pans
  • Preheat the oven to 160C (fan)

  • Grease and line all 3 tins

  • Cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy

  • Add a few tablespoons of flour to prevent curdling then whisk in the eggs before adding in the remaining flour and baking powder

  • Gently fold in the orange zest.

  • Put 4-5 tablespoons of the mixture in a separate bowl and mix in the food colouring until you get a strong orange colour and then pour it into a piping bag

  • Divide the remaining cake batter between the 3 tins

  • Take the piping bag of orange cake mix, snip off the end and push it into the cake batter until an orange blob appears. Repeat the process across the 3 tins until all the orange batter has been used up.
  • Place in the oven for 20mins or until a skewer inserted comes out clean

  • Tip on to a wire rack to cool
  
Buttercream
250g Sugar and Crumbs Jaffa Twist icing sugar
100g unsalted butter (softened)
A few tablespoons of milk
  • Mix the ingredients together until pale and mousse like (it usually takes a good 5 mins of beating!) adding more milk if required to loosen the buttercream


Now to layer the cake!

  • Spread half the buttercream on top of one sponge, add a sponge on top of it, add the remaining buttercream and the final sponge layer

Icing glaze
100g Sugar and Crumbs Chocolate Milkshake Icing Sugar
3-4 tbsp of warm water
Chocolate shavings
  • Add the water to the icing sugar a little bit at a time until you have a smooth yet thick and pourable consistency

  • Pour over the top of the cake encouraging it to drip down the sides

  • Decorate with some chocolate shavings and enjoy!



 *Disclaimer* Sugar and Crumbs sent me these sugars to review but as always all opinions are my own.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. This has got my name on it! I love the idea of it and I will have to make it now x

    ReplyDelete