Holidays!

By A Wee Bit of Cake - August 01, 2014


I’m back! Mr T and I have just spent a lovely week in Crete and even though the holiday blues are setting in I am so excited about the next 12 months!!! It’s almost a year til the big day and I can now officially get even more excited than I am already.


Crete was lovely, we wanted to book a cheap and cheerful break in the sun but were concerned we would have to pay extortionate prices cos he is a teacher. We decided to leave booking anything til a month before we went away and got a cracking deal. I was surprised how many people are apprehensive about booking last minute but if you aren’t fussy about your destination you can get a right good bargain. We paid £237 each for flights, luggage, accommodation and transfers although we opted to book a hire car instead. For a holiday in school holidays we thought this was very reasonable.  

Yes, we stayed in Malia but I was pleasantly surprised. We read up on reviews of our hotel and found it to be somewhere that attracted couples and families so we knew it was ideal for us. The strip is a dive but an experience at the same time yet it was the Old Town that I loved. Each taverna was beautifully decorated and the food was so cheap but seriously good at the same time. We really felt like we were a million miles away from the strip but in fact it was only a 10minute stroll away.

We had a hire car and all I can say is driving in Crete is an experience I do not wish to repeat and I wasn’t even driving! It makes me so thankful that the rules are so strict in the UK, our roads and cars really do feel so much safer. There were cars overtaking on bends, we saw families of FOUR riding one scooter together and helmets were hardly worn – it’s insane!

All in all we loved Crete and if we went back we would both like to explore the south of the island. If you are looking a cheap and cheerful break in the sun it really does tick a lot of boxes.

Here’s a peek of some of our photos:

Plane selfie - it was early so please excuse the glasses and no makeup!

Mr T enjoyed a lot of Mythos on holiday
Encouraging my pale legs to tan
My little photography geek :)
One taverna filled each of their tables with traditional Cretan memorabilia (and a camping lantern filter thing)
The tavernas were so pretty!

The boat trip before I lost my hat - stupid sea breeze blew it off my head and into the sea :(
The Leper Colony - Spinalonga


Still working on that tan!
Gyros - yum!
Our lovely resort
Cake! Although I was disappointed in the flavour, it was a little dry
A perfect way to spend our last day although I did burn :(
As much as I loved Crete and the sunshine I really missed my oven while I was away so I can't wait to get back in the kitchen and sharing recipes with you all again.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments