Ginger Syrup Cake

By A Wee Bit of Cake - August 06, 2014

Ginger cake, it's one of those cakes that usually never looks pretty but it always tastes amazing. Whenever I make it I always think to myself I must make this more often. It's also a brilliant cake to bring to cake club, I feel it works with all sorts of themes and it's always the cake that disappears first no matter who makes it. Whenever I spot someone has made ginger cake I'm always straight in there cutting a slice before it all goes!


When we set the theme for the last Wharfedale CCC event, Posh Picnic, I was feeling a bit stumped on what to bake. Sometimes I know instantly but other times I'm hit by cake block and feel so uninspired. When that happens I love nothing more than geeking out with my cookery books. 

Once again the trusty CCC cookbook came to the rescue. Honestly if you haven't bought it yet what's wrong with you? It's probably one of the best baking books I own and is full of so many recipes I would never have thought of trying before.

When I spotted Pippa's Ginger Syrup cake I knew it was the one to bake. It was so yummy but I also ended up with a serious cake wreck. Before we left for CCC I noticed a crack down the centre and by the time we arrived at the picnic spot it it had split into four chunks. I was so upset but everyone else just said, "well it saves you having to cut it." I don't know what caused it as I have never had a problem like that before but I'm wondering could the heat have been a contributor?

Cake wreck boo!
Anyway, recipe! 

Ginger Syrup Cake
400g SR flour
200g granulated sugar
2tsp ground ginger
2tsp bicarbonate of soda
110g margarine
4tbsp golden syrup
480ml hot water
2 eggs 

  • Preheat the oven to 160c (fan)
  • Grease and line 2 deep 20cm round cake tins
  • The mixture is quite wet so I placed the tins on a baking sheet to catch any leaks
  • Combine the dry ingredients and rub in the margarine until it resembles breadcrumbs
  • Mix the syrup with the hot water then pour over the dry mix stirring with a wooden spoon til smooth and then mix in the beaten eggs
  • Pour into the prepared tins and bake on the oven for 30mins or until a skewer inserted comes out clean 

While the cake is cooling it's time to get on with the icing!

Buttercream
80g unsalted butter softened
250g icing sugar
A few tbsp of milk

  • Whisk the butter and sugar together taking care to cover your bowl to avoid an icing explosion.
  • Add some milk to combine and add more milk until if required to achieve a spreadable consistency.
  • Once the sponges are cool spread the buttercream on one layer before adding the next layer to it.

Ginger and Cinnamon Icing
25g butter
25g golden syrup
1tsp ground ginger
1/2tsp cinnamon
50g icing sugar
Chocolate shavings

  • Add all the ingredients to a pan and heat gently until the butter is melted and well combined.
  • Leave to cool slightly before pouring over the top of the cake.
  • Decorate with some chocolate shavings and enjoy!

PS. Who's excited about GBBO tonight? I can't wait!

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments