Marine Reef Cake

By A Wee Bit of Cake - May 14, 2013

I was thinking about what to blog today and there are lots of things I want to blog about but I need to get back in the kitchen and try out my ideas before I can tell you all about them.

I realised I hadn't shown you the birthday cake I made for Himself's 30th weekend before last. The more I get into cake decorating the bigger the demands seem to be from all the family.

We recently set up a marine fish tank at home so He asked for a cake inspired by that. I could hardly say no but inside I was thinking "how on earth am I going to make corals and fish and turn them into a cake??"

Thankfully around the time of His request Ruth at The Pink Whisk put up a recipe for rice krispie treats which turned out to be the perfect thing for modelling corals. I completely forgot to photograph the cake in stages but you can see the finished article below. (One of these days I hope I will get a posh camera to learn how to photograph my cakes really well). My no fail chocolate sponge recipe was used and filled with chocolate buttercream and a mixture of rice krispie treats, modelling paste and royal icing were used to create all the decorations. Even though I wasn't 100% happy with it everyone else was and Himself loved it which was the main thing.


Next bake is something for my friend's birthday this weekend but question is what to bake hmmm....?

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments