Cherry Brownies

By A Wee Bit of Cake - October 29, 2015

I've talked many times about my love of brownies - seriously what is there not to love? Chocolate, gooey, indulgent.... I could go on and on!


I actually meant to post this recipe months ago but somehow it got stuck in drafts. Ah well... better late than never!

Since I found the best ever brownie recipe from Billingtons I now use it as my base and add flavours to it. I have fiddled with the chocolate quantities by reducing the dark and increasing the milk but essentially it is their recipe. Retro as it is I've always loved Black Forest Gateaux and when I remembered I had some Black Forest flavoured icing sugar from Sugar and Crumbs in the cupboard I knew exactly what I needed to make.

By substituting a little sugar with the Sugar and Crumbs icing sugar, adding some tinned cherries and an icing sugar glaze to the top, these brownies turned out to be a wonderful mix of chocolate and cherry. I'm already thinking if I make them again I need to serve them with a side of clotted cream - yum!

Cherry Brownies
250g dark chocolate
100g milk chocolate
200g butter
200g soft dark brown sugar
50g Sugar and Crumbs Black Forest Icing Sugar
3 eggs
50g SR flour
1/2 tin of cherries drained and chopped in half (about 200g)

Preheat the oven to 170C fan
Grease and line a 20cm square cake tin
Melt the chocolate and butter in a bowl over a pan of simmering water
Whisk the sugars and eggs together until pale and doubled in volume
Once melted fold the chocolate/butter mix into the eggs/sugar mix
Fold in the flour
Fold in the cherries
Pour into the tin and bake for 30-35 mins until crispy on top but with a slight wobble
Leave to cool in the tin

Icing Glaze
200g Sugar and Crumbs Black Forest Icing Sugar
a few tbsp water
12-16 cherries

Cut the brownies into 12-16 pieces
Whisk the water and sugar together until you have a smooth but thick pourable consistency (add the water slowly to prevent it becoming too runny)
Pour the icing glaze over the brownies
Decorate each brownie with a cherry on top and dust with icing sugar

Enjoy!



 
Image Map

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments