A wee bit of life

By A Wee Bit of Cake - June 09, 2014

It's been an odd few weeks for us and life has been a little up in the air but I'm pleased to be finally getting back to a sense of normality again. I'm a bit of a control freak (ok a lot) so having my stability shaken for a bit really messed with my head. 

Yesterday was not a good day for me and along with being full of cold and having a bad driving lesson I was not the best of company to be around (sorry Mr T!)

I had a wedding nightmare that woke me up at 5:30am yesterday and I couldn't get back to sleep afterwards. I dreamt the hairdresser and florist didn't turn up. Yes, I know, as I type this it sounds totally ridiculous but in the dream it was a disaster and whole other heap of things happened too so when I woke I just did not feel happy.

Then I royally stuffed up reversing in my driving lesson even though I know how to do it! I'm properly freaking out about my driving test. I keep telling myself that millions of people have passed their test and I'll be able to do the same but it doesn't stop me worrying. Even my instructor said it wasn't one of my better lessons but he did say as long as I do well on the test and afterwards it doesn't matter if I make mistakes in lessons. I'm hoping it was my cold and a bad nights sleep that were the main contributing factors but it has me doubting my abilities. Mr T says I'm too hard on myself and the only way to learn is through mistakes but I couldn't help but feel angry at myself. I get frustrated at silly mistakes, maybe I'm too much of a high achiever?

I decided I needed to switch my brain off and focus on happier things so I did what I always do when I'm in bad form and baked!

There is something so therapeutic about the process of baking. Weighing ingredients, melting the butter and chocolate slowly, whisking up the eggs... it all helps me to separate my thoughts and make sense of everything. 

I have discovered though that sometimes all we need is a brownie and chocolate makes everything better. I swear by this recipe from Billingtons (minus the cranberries this time). It creates the ultimate chewy, gooey brownie and is the perfect pick me up.

I have also discovered blogging is a great way to get my thoughts in order. Putting pen to paper (or typing away on the computer) really helps me move forward and stop dwelling on things. Sometimes I just over-think things and worry too much!

Do you have a go to pick me up when you are having a bad day?

Brownies make everything better!

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments