Lemon Confetti Cake

By A Wee Bit of Cake - July 19, 2017

 

I really feel like I've lost my blogging mojo at the moment. I don't know what it is but I just can't seem to motivate myself to pick up the laptop and write a blog post. I love blogging, I love sharing recipes and I love writing about our family adventures but lately I'm in a bit of a rut.

I don't know if it's the juggling of work/home/mum/wife/friend/blogging/vlogging and everything else in between but I need to give myself a good shake and get back in to doing what I love.

I've been meaning to share this recipe with you all for ages now, I made it back at the end of May but I just haven't found the time or been in the mood to share any of my cakes which is quite unlike me. I'm hoping that by giving myself this virtual kick and actually pressing publish will spur me on to get back into doing what I love - baking and sharing my recipes with you all.

I've said it many a time before but one of my favourite things to do is to bake for other people. There is something so satisfying about watching the ingredients come together to create a cake that is for a dear friend (or in this case, said friend's darling daughter).

Every Friday I meet up with my Twitter Mums. We met through Twitter when we were all pregnant and over the past 2 years we have seen our friendship grow from the occasional tweet to each other into weekly get togethers with our little people in tow.

One of the mums, Sara, lives quite close to me and for months now she has said she wanted me to bake Scarlett's first birthday cake. Between us we decided to keep it simple with a light and tangy lemon sponge. Each layer was sandwiched with lemon curd and iced in lemon buttercream and decorated with a scattering of confetti sprinkles. On top pf the cake clouds of buttercream were carefully piped with rainbow laces draped between. A simple yet delicate cake for a wonderful little girl. 

I was so worried as to whether Sara and Jah would like it but thankfully they loved it. We also attended Scarlett's party so I got to see everyone's reactions first hand. I'm relieved to say the cake was well received and a definite hit among the guests - phew!

As usual I am my own worst critic, I don't think we are ever completely satisfied with our own work but that also gives me the drive and determination to continually improve on my baking skills.


Lemon Confetti Cake
340g caster sugar
340g baking spread
340g self-raising flour
3 tsp baking powder
6 eggs
zest of 3 lemons

Preheat the oven to 160C (fan)
Grease and line three 20cm cake tins 
Using the all in one method mix everything on a high speed until well combined
Divide the mixture equally between the tins 
Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until well risen and a skewer inserted comes out clean

Lemon Buttercream
250g softened unsalted butter
650g icing sugar
Juice from 1-2 lemons (add this a bit at a time until lemony enough for your taste)
A few tbsp of milk (if needed to loosen the buttercream)

Whisk the butter and icing sugar on a high speed for 5 minutes until pale and fluffy.
Add the sugar and milk a bit at a time until lemony and spreadable

To Decorate
1 jar of lemon curd
Confetti sprinkles
Rainbow laces

Level off each cake tier
Sandwich together with lemon curd and crumb coat in a thin layer of buttercream
Refrigerate for 20 minutes until firm
Once chilled coat in the remaining buttercream and smooth with a palette knife
Scatter the confetti sprinkles around the cake
Pipe "clouds" of buttercream on top and drape across the rainbow laces

Enjoy!




  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments