Chocolate Dinosaur Cake

By A Wee Bit of Cake - March 15, 2017


I recently shared a post on Ethan's First Birthday and a picture of the cake but I didn't go in to too much detail on it.

After some thought I realised I always share the recipes of the cakes I make so why not this one too?

I used my go to chocolate cake recipe (is there any other to use??), filled it with chocolate ganache and iced it with green coloured vanilla buttercream.

I remember decorating the cake in the kitchen and Tom walked in and I started to cry. My parents and brothers were in the living room and I didn't want them to know I was upset so through silent tears I told Tom I couldn't believe our baby was almost one and I was making his first cake (of many I hope). I found myself reflecting on the past year and remembering how I felt at that point last year when labour had just started.

I let myself have a moment then quickly pulled myself together and go on with the decorating the cake. I did have to modify it slightly as I couldn't find the grass nozzle which I think got lost moving house but thankfully I was able to use one of my more obscure nozzles that still gave a bit of a grass effect. Not exactly what I was after but better than nothing.

A dollop of ganache and some Sainsburys micro eggs gave the illusion of dinosaur eggs. I also bought the dino figures off eBay as there was no way I had the time to sit and model a load of sugar dinosaurs.

Thankfully the little man loved it and I managed to stretch it to feed over 20 people woop!


Chocolate Dinosaur Cake
2.5 cups SR Flour
2 cups soft dark brown sugar (although any sugar will be fine)
1 cup cocoa
1 cup veg/sunflower oil
1.5 cups of milk
1tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 eggs
  • Preheat your oven to 160C (fan)
  • Grease and line two 20cm cake tins
  • Pop all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk until smooth
  • Divide between the two tins and bake for 40mins or until a skewer inserted comes out clean
  • Tip onto a wire rack to cool

Chocolate Gananche
300ml double cream
300g dark chocolate
  • Gently heat the cream in the pan until warm but not hot
  • Stir in the chocolate until melted and smooth
  • Pop in a bowl to cool and once cool cover in cling film and place in the fridge for a few hours to firm up

Green Buttercream
500g icing sugar
200g unsalted butter (softened)
A few tbsp. milk
Green food colouring gel
  • Using an electric whisk mix or mixer, beat the icing sugar and butter together until smooth adding a little milk at a time to loosen the buttercream if it’s too thick to spread
  • Add the food colouring and beat on a high speed until well combined and fluffy

To Decorate
  • Level the 2 cake layers and sandwich with ganache. Make sure to set some aside for the rock pool
  • Ice the outside in buttercream and place some in a piping bag to pipe on a grass effect
  • Using the micro eggs create a rock pool and fill with some ganache (I gave it a quick zap in the microwave to soften it slightly)
  • Scatter the remaining eggs over the cake, pipe on some grass and decorate with dinosaur figures.

Enjoy!





  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments