Chocolate Bundt - Hummingbird Bakery

By A Wee Bit of Cake - July 04, 2016


Remember a few days ago I told you I had a chocolate cake recipe to share with you all with mayonnaise in it? Honestly, when I was flicking through the new Hummingbird Bakery Life is Sweet book I could not believe my eyes to see a chocolate cake has that as an ingredient.

As mentioned previously, I was asked to make a recipe from this book and share it with you all but when I saw this one too I knew I had to add it to the list. Also the fact that it's a Bundt was a winner in my eyes. I do love a good Bundt!

It was so easy to whip up - mix the wet ingredients together and then fold in the dry, tip into the Bundt tin, bake and drizzle with icing once cool. I've been on the search for a good chocolate Bundt recipe for ages and I have a feeling I'll be making this one again and again. It's so light and fluffy yet moist and ridiculously chocolatey too - a winner all round!

The only aspect of this cake that I did change was the icing as someone (*cough Mr T cough*) ate the chocolate that I needed for it. Instead I used a fudge icing which worked really well especially when the cake was warmed up - yum!


Chocolate Bundt
270g plain flour
1¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
½ tsp baking powder 
¼ tsp salt
295ml buttermilk
70g cocoa
235g mayonnaise
2 eggs
165g soft light brown sugar
160g caster sugar
1½ tsp vanilla extract
60g dark chocolate

Chocolate Fudge Icing
60g unsalted butter
30g cocoa
6 tbsp milk
250g icing sugar sifted

  • Preheat the oven to 175C
  • Grease and flour the Bundt tin
  • Mix together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and salt
  • Whisk together the buttermilk, cocoa, mayo, eggs, both sugars and vanilla extract
  • Fold in the dry ingredients until well combined
  • Pour the batter into the Bundt tin and pop in the over for 45 minutes until a skewer inserted comes out clean
  • Leave the Bundt in the tin for 30 minutes before tipping onto a wire rack to cool completely 
  • To make the fudge icing melt the butter in a pan and then whisk in the cocoa
  • Remove from the heat and whisk in the milk and icing sugar adding more milk a little at a time if the icing is too thick
  • Pour over the Bundt and dust with icing sugar
Enjoy!



  • Share:

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I must try this recipe! My niece would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what size of tin is needed for that recipe? thanx in advance.

    ReplyDelete